Recommended Dependencies

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Sat Aug 29 08:12:57 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:02:19AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> In the Links package, we have this:
>
>   <bridgehead renderas="sect4">Recommended</bridgehead>
>     <para role="recommended"><xref linkend="gpm"/> (if mouse support is
>     desired) and
>     <xref linkend="openssl"/></para>
>
> My take is that Recommended is actually wrong here. I think the proper
> syntax should be:
>
>   <bridgehead renderas="sect4">Required</bridgehead>
>     <para role="required"><xref linkend="gpm"/> (if mouse support is
>     desired) and
>     <xref linkend="openssl"/> (if SSL support is desired)</para>

I feel that GPM may qualify for required, as long as it's stated that
it's required if graphics are enabled. However, I feel that OpenSSL may
be better suited under optional. I think it would be quite clear to anyone
who lacks SSL who attempts to use a service that requires it that the
required support was not compiled in.