Recommended Dependencies

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 29 08:13:12 PDT 2009

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Either 1) Change the 'Recommended' to Required' with the same note. There
> is precedence for having more than one "Required' section. Or 2) move the
> dependencies back to 'Optional' with the note.
>
> We don't need to recommend a dependency, when a few simple words in
> parenthesis can identify to the reader that the dependency is required
> if (whatever reason).

I read that as if you are suggesting that we remove recommended
dependencies all together. IMO, that would be bad.  For example you
cited earlier NSS.  If you have sqlite3 installed, and use the built-in
libsqlite3, the /usr/lib/libsqlite* can get overwritten, breaking
anything that is already linked against it.  Sqlite is _not_ strictly
required, however, you are on your own if you deviate.  The instructions
account for system sqlite by default and must be changed if you ignore
the recommendation.  Again, however, to be technically correct, sqlite
is included and is not a required dependency.  Recommended dependencies
are in place to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot and
should stay IMO.  Perhaps, we should consult our peers before adding any
additional 'recommended' dependencies, but they certainly should not go
completely IMO.

-- DJ Lucas