Xorg-server-1.6

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Tue Aug 11 04:49:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:30:48AM -0000, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Guy, how is that combination of Mesa-7.5 and xorg-server-1.6 working out
> for you?  Are you pretty confident in it?  After minimal review, following
> on the two distros' examples, I'm thinking we should move to 1.6.

Pretty good so far, it's far more stable than any other version I've
tried. Nothing has had a problem compiling against it, and if Firefox
3.5.2 compiled and works I would say that pretty much anything will
work - it has a habit of being quite temperamental that way.
  MPlayer was a bit of a pain to get working, but after getting it to use
mostly external, rather than internal, dependencies I managed to get it
working. I can now full-screen my DVDs without any slowdown.
  The only real problem I've met with 1.6 is when I switch to a
VT-terminal X sends a load of data back to the WM. In Fluxbox this
causes it to open up a flood of terminals. Perhaps this is the reason
for the DontVTSwitch option? Memory management seems to be quite good
with X using a reasonable amount, and overall it feels quite responsive.

Am I confident in it? I would probably say yes, I've compiled X enough
times to get a feel for when it's stable or not. The versions I used are
stable versions, such as libX11: you should use 1.2.2, rather than
1.2.99.901 which is a development version (correct me if I'm wrong).
  I've been using 1.6 for a good while before I became an editor, and
through that time I don't remember any serious issues or sudden crashes.
I think a few more people should give it a trial run, but it gets my
thumbs up.