Xorg-server-1.6

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:31:42 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM, DJ Lucas<dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Guy, how is that combination of Mesa-7.5 and xorg-server-1.6 working out
> for you?  Are you pretty confident in it?  After minimal review, following
> on the two distros' examples, I'm thinking we should move to 1.6. If so,
> since we do not have a 'blessed' release tree, I'm simply going to review
> Ubuntu-9.04 and Fedora-11 to see what they are doing for driver versions,
> and install everything (that is for x86 arch).

I would be a little careful following the Fedora-11 graphics stack.
They have the benefit of having some of the main developers working
for them, including the drm maintainer, Dave Airlie. He often pulls in
big kernel patchsets that aren't in any released kernels yet to make
features work. You might have trouble just dropping in the F11 setup,
but it should be a decent reference. The Debian X Strike Force is
pretty strong with people that are involved with upstream. Mandriva
should have a pretty solid setup since they have a couple guys
continuously QAing things.

--
Dan