99% video success at youtube

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:28:46 PDT 2009

[ sorry this is rambling, but I'm finished for the day and was going to leave
any "report" until I'd fixed the bugs, which is probably days away.  Thenl I
remembered my previous comment on youtube was "50% works" ]

 Today, I finished building my new desktop.  I'm trying to not change too much
at once, so this is still on LFS-6.4-ish (the -ish is the updated mandb with
gdbm).  I've got a "hardware" problem with sound (nothing is coming out of
my amp, even from my old systems which used to work, hopefully it's just a
cable problem), so I can't test audio.  I've also dropped kde entirely (qt-4.5.2
broke my script with it's "o for opensource, then y to accept either version
of the GPL", and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me), so
I'm building *much* less now.  Everything else is using the latest releases.
Still some issues to resolve, but I thought I ought to announce that on the
videos I'm interested in at youtube, with gnash-0.8.5 (unchanged) and the
current gstreamer (0.10.23) (and gnome-2.26.latest) (and firefox-3.5.1 - yeah,
I know, got to upgrade that as soon as I've identified everything that uses
xulrunner - the latest I know of is libsoup :-( ), ...

 I now get a dialogue with videos that didn't work at all before-
Gnash Error
MediaHandlerGst:;createAudioDecoder:Couldn't find a
plugin for audio type audio/mpeg! --
MedialHandler::createFlashAudioDecoder: no available
 FLASH decoders for codec 10 (Advanced Audio Coding)

 - research suggest FAAC or FAAD *might* solve that, but the improtant
thing is that almost all of them give me the video (and these are mostly
old films which were probably silent anyway.  Only one video I tried
failed to render, and that one seemed to play, it was just all black.  This
includes several videos I've previously not been able to view, that used
to give me 'done' with  a grey screen after perhaps momentarily playing.
So, I'm well-impressed!

 Full disclosure: these were videos of railways (what some of you call
"railroads"), both real and model.  Sad, isn't it, but I'm old enough not
to care about admitting it.  YMMV.. EOR [ end of rambling ].

 Of course, it's also possible that youtube fixed something since
yesterday, but either way this is a major step forward for me.

ĸen :-)

--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"