Notes on the current pdf version of the book

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 5 13:22:53 PDT 2009

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:07:42 -0500, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish there were an easier way to find these overflows than scrolling
> through what is now a 1200 page book.

When I spotted the recent overflow in LFS, finding it was quite easy; the
pdf.log file generated by the Makefile.  The logfile contains the warning
about the overflow with the line number it occurred in.  That line number,
in turn, refers to the .fo file that contains the entire book, which is in
the temporary render directory of the book.  Viewing the surrounding area
should point you to the package in the book that contains the overflow.

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know, but I don't think
you should ever need to manually scroll through the entire 1200 pages to
find the overflows.

Regards,

Matt.