option vs parameter

Tobias Gasser lfs at ebp-gasser.ch
Wed Aug 5 09:56:20 PDT 2009

Randy McMurchy schrieb:

> I would probably be against this as the brackets might throw some folks
> off by thinking they need them. Additionally, because we've set a standard
> and been using it for many years, I suggest we maintain status quo.

reasonable argument.

but i agree with guy: brackets are well known to indicate options.

maybe some statements in "v. Typography" would help?

the [OPTIONAL TEXT] is already mentionned!

currently there is nothing about the italic/normal visualisation for
parameter/option. thus my idea for a third visualisation to distinguish
even required/requested could be addressed in this page too.

tobias