r7932 - in trunk/BOOK: . gnome/core introduction/welcome postlfs/security

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:52:47 PDT 2009

Continuing the discussion of marking options on -dev from -book.

Guy Dalziel wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:56:03AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> This is incorrect. Option and parameter have their own distinct
>> usage.
>
> The difference is so minute it's hardly worth the effort. Parameter
> might give it an emphasis but you hardly even notice it. It's nowhere
> near as distinct as bold for programs and normal for libraries, and
> if it was ever used properly I've never noticed it. From my experience
> as a user, it's easy enough to tell when it's optional by the fact it's
> not in the default commands.

OK, the discussion is about marking <parameter> vs <option>. In the Editor's
guide, we have:

"For rendering purposes, parameters actually used in the Installation Section
must use <parameter> tags. For optional switches, <option> tags should be used."

That's the way we've done it for a long time.  If we want to change, there are a
lot of places that need to be changed and it is probably not worth it.  The
reason these tags were chosen in the first place was two fold.  The description
of the tags in docbook pointed us that way and we wanted to provide a specific
tag for alfs to use that indicated the difference.