GConf and dbus question

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 2 06:30:50 PDT 2009

Wayne Blaszczyk wrote these words on 08/02/09 00:04 CST:
> Hi,
> I've noticed that the GConf installation places the
> org.gnome.GConf.Defaults.conf file into
> /etc/gnome/<version>/dbus-1/system.d. I don't know enough on how dbus
> works, but I presume it needs to go into /etc/dbus-1/system.d. Is this
> correct? If so, should it be copied, moved, symlinked, or should
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d be symlinked into
> /etc/gnome/<version>/dbus-1/system.d before the install? Any advise?

It seems I remember that you can put something in the dbus configuration
file that identifies other locations for system.d info. I don't have a
machine handy that has d-bus installed, but if you man d-bus or dbus.conf
you should be able to find it.

> On another note, I posted this in a past email but no one responded,
> what is the reasoning for having etc/gnome/<version> as the sysconfdir?
> It's not as if people would normally have multiply versions of GNOME.

I have in the past. FHS says /etc/gnome at a minimum. Using a versioned
dir allows folks to experiment updating to a newer version without
overwriting their current information.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
08:27:00 up 26 days, 20:55, 1 user, load average: 0.26, 0.64, 0.77