libQtUiTools.so [ was Re: static libraries ]

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 16 12:38:11 PDT 2009

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:01:53PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:39:51PM +0000, Martin Ward wrote:
>>
>>> Is this what you were looking for Ken?
>>>
>>> https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2008/programming/libs/qt4/files/uitools-sharedlib.patch
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Martin
>>>
>>  Hmm, it very much looks like it.  I'll try it in my next build, if
>> it still applies.
>>
>>  Thanks.
>>

>  Unfortunately, I halted that build before kde and it hasn't seemed
> urgent enough to get back to.  Meanwhile, on a slightly older pure64
> clfs system I've been building my current desktop packages.  Just
> noting for the record that it doesn't seem to be usable with kde:
>
>  The patch applies fine, and gave me libQtUiTools.so.4.4.3.
> I upgraded the versions of the "minimum kde" packages to 4.4.2 (i.e.
> just enough for konqueror, okular, kmix).  Unfortunately, cmake
> appears to be unable to find the shared libQtUiTools.so.
>
>  I've already become antagonistic to kde4 because akonadi/pimlibs
> appear to need static boost libs (and cmake is broken enough to
> find a shared-only boost, but no static libs, and continue), now it
> appears libQtUiTools has to be static.  I wish I'd spotted that
> before the previous build - I've now lost interest in kde4 (I don't
> wish to have to rebuild kde if a vulnerability is found in Qt).
>
>  A shame, because konqueror4 appeared to render more nicely than
> konqueror3 (better use of fonts), but the packages are all so
> enormous that I'm probably better off without it.
>
>  This dependency on static libs runs all the way through cmake -
> it's arrogant enough to link itself to system libs _only_ if you
> have all of its required libs (libxmlrpc_c isn't a common
> requirement), so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that some of
> the kde dependencies are static.  For me, it's too much aggravation.
>
> ĸen

i didn't seem to have any problems but i used qt 4.5, and am running now
from a kde 4.2.1 desktop. But i did use a few patches from arch/red-hat
but akondai still doesn't work correctly for me, i suspect it was me
using -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON, which might have caused the issue.

overall i am liking kde4 more and more, and i'm sure as it progresses,
we will eventually reach parity with 3.5.x

incidentally did you find a solution to the abiword problem as i got
exactly the same issues as yourself, i.e no printing, no save to pdf,
after tearing my hair out about why it wouldn't run without certain
microsoft fonts installed

cheers

Martin