LFS Future Braindump

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at gmail.com
Thu May 29 03:25:45 PDT 2008

I agree that the openldap FAQs are adequate, I would even go so far as
to say they are rather simplified, but I think where the idea of them
being "too technical" is shown best from this comparison;

1. "Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is an open-standard
protocol for accessing X.500 directory services."

2. "here's an LDAP search translated into plain English: "Search for
all people located in Chicago whose name contains "Fred" that have an
email address. Please return their full name, email, title, and
description." "

The first one is brief and to the point, but what is an X.500
directory service? This by itself requires a bit of further reading.
The second one explains what it does without the need for seeking
further sources. Personally I'm fairly happy with the explanations as
they are, they wouldn't hurt from a bit more information mind you.
What if we could do both, present a couple of sentences in brief about
what the package does and then put a 'more..' link after it that leads
to a page of a more detailed nature, perhaps the wiki would suit the
purpose nicely.

I'm perfectly happy with highly technical documentation and a search
engine, so you won't hear any complaints from me.