LFS Future Braindump

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 29 00:47:24 PDT 2008

Christian Wurst wrote these words on 05/28/08 06:55 CST:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Randy McMurchy
> <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> But honestly, why should BLFS go to the trouble of copying or
>> paraphrasing the information here?
>>
>> http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/3.html
>>
>> In my opinion simply stating: See [insert above URL] is sufficient.
>
> Well, I disagree here. The FAQ is very technical in nature, and thus
> takes some time to understand what the package does.

I snipped your explanation and somewhat dismissed it when I read
your first sentence. You must have not even visited the URL I
offered above, otherwise there would be no way you would say that
it is too technical.

Each FAQ question is answered briefly and in a simple sentence or
two that should be easily understood by the audience BLFS expects.

Perhaps language constraints and idealisms enter into things though,
and the fact that you may have to navigate to 2 or more URLs make
it "technical in nature", but to me, the LDAP FAQ is one of the
most user friendly, and non-technical avenues to gain information
there is. To each his own.

And I mean that in a good way. What I perceive to be clear, concise
information in easy to understand sentences, may be difficult to
others. I always try to keep that in mind. It helps me create better
documentation for the BLFS stuff. Or at least I like to think so.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
02:36:00 up 101 days, 17:24, 1 user, load average: 0.18, 0.22, 0.15