LFS Future Braindump

Christian Wurst christian.wurst at gmail.com
Tue May 27 09:47:22 PDT 2008

Hi,

I think it's clear that we can't document every package completely,
this is simply beyond our possibilities. Let me explain my opinion
with an example:

The OpenLDAP description is a little short: Ok, it's an implementation
of the LDAP, I would have guessed so, but what do I need LDAP for? If
you take a look at the OpenSSL summary you'll notice that it isn't
much longer, but IMO gives a lot more information what this package is
needed for (OpenSSH, browsers, etc.). To me that seems like a good
example on how far we should go in documenting the packages. A few
more sentences stating what this package usually is used for. If that
can't be done in completeness we should state some examples - the
editor uses it at least for one purpose. :)

If you're not familiar with that package you'll see at a glance if
this package could be of interest for you - if yes, you'll google it
for more information. If it really is that complex, this would be the
location for a link: "More information can be obtained here: LINK" or
something similar.

Christian