make pdf fails

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 10 16:21:18 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 05/10/08 18:14 CST:

> I just wish changes like this would be tested. If someone changes
> the Makefile, it should be that all functions of the Makefile should
> be tested before a change is made.
>
> But sh*t happens, so no big deal. We fix it and move on.

I forgot to mention that the 'test-links' target in the Makefile
is hosed as well. I can't help but think the last change fixed
*something*, but broke more somethings along the way.

I'm going to revert the change and see if things work okay. If things
do work okay, we'll figure it out how to do what was desired in the
first place, without breaking things. If things don't work okay after
reverting the change, we'll put the change back in and fix whatever
it is that is broken.

I remember the change and the discussion. It was because the book
would validate every time, and the change was supposed to make it
so that it only validates if there's been changes to the XML. Since
I don't use the Makefile, and my scripts have been doing what this
change does from the beginning, I didn't even think about it. But
now that there is identified breakage, we need to stop and fix it.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
18:15:01 up 83 days, 9:03, 1 user, load average: 1.76, 1.37, 0.83