[BLFS Trac] #2533: Berkeley DB-4.6.21
bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:06:58 PDT 2008
Moving to blfs=dev...
For reference, see http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/2533
BLFS Trac wrote:
> Comment (by randy at linuxfromscratch.org):
> I'm not sure if Bruce has changed his mind, or if he thinks our
> policy is dated, or what, but he has turned 180 degrees on this
> one. The last time this very same exact issue was discussed, Bruce
> opted for the "stable" version.
> Now Bruce is opting for what the OpenLDAP folks say is not their
> stable version. Nothing has changed, other than this issue with
> Berkeley-DB. Here's the thread:
LOL. I've slept since then. Anyway, I think circumstances have changed.
> I want to be careful that we don't just abandon our very good
> policy of using maintainer's stable versions, unless there's
> really good reason not to (no stable releases any longer, security
> issues, UTF8 compatibility, et all).
Agree. If there are no issues, then choose the stable version. When issues
come up, discuss, and choose the best course for the current set of circumstances.
> I don't want to set precedent (again) with still another package
> using other than stable version. However, it very well could be that
> OpenLDAP, with it's multiple "production" releases, can truly be
> called an exception to the policy.
That was my unstated point.
> One problem to this approach is the quickness with which OpenLDAP
> is released. It is a very fast release-to-release cycle, and I
> don't think we can keep up in a timely manner. Using the stable
> releases at least afford us to be current for a few months at a
> time, instead of a few weeks.
We can use the OpenLDAP recommended policy. When the 'stable' version is
beyond the version in the book, update to the next 'release' version. I'd
modify that to say that before a BLFS release, update to the latest 'release'
version to maximize the release lifetime.
> This Berkeley-DB dilemma could very well be the turning point
> in the decision making process.
I don't think so. I think the 'Policy' is to use the stable version unless
there are solid reasons to use something else.
More information about the blfs-dev