BLFS release (?)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri May 9 00:11:02 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> DJ Lucas wrote:
>>> The real problem with it is, if we keep holding for every version
>>> increment, we'll never get 6.3 out the door.
>> And do we really need to get 6.3 out of the door? Essentially, without an errata
>> page, without the team tracking security issues and bugs, it will be just a
>> snapshot, not a proper distro release. Maybe versionless BLFS (i.e., "always use
>> svn") is the way to go?
>
> Personally, I never use a released BLFS book. I can understand why some
> feel it is necessary or important, but for me, by the time it is
> released, it always feels so dated. Not a fault on any of the devs part,
> just a nature of the current setup, I think.

Some users, especially new users, will prefer a 'release' version to a svn
version.  The advantage of BLFS 6.3 is that it is (at least should be) checked
against LFS 6.3 and not svn or some hybrid version.

By doing a 6.3 release, we can start working BLFS svn against LFS svn.  Then
when LFS releases, start over again, hopefully with a faster turn around.