BLFS release

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:52:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 05/08/08 13:11 CST:
>
>> I'm sorry this has inconvenienced you so much, but it addresses a real problem.
>
> It doesn't inconvenience me as I know how to create a .mozconfig
> file on my own to build Firefox. :-)
>
> Though I still don't know what the real problem was (as it pertains
> to .mozconfig files) as those files are versioned and there is no
> worry about some BLFS version overlap, or whatever it was Dan
> described in his email.

For mozconfig files, it's not that big of an issue. However, suppose
we release BLFS-6.3 with firefox-2.0.0.14. After branching off 6.3, we
change the svn firefox to use a different --enable-* option, say for
cairo. If the files on anduin are in a single flat file, what happens?
The user following BLFS-6.3 who downloads the
firefox-2.0.0.14-mozconfig file from anduin has a broken setup.
Instead, now there will be static files corresponding to 6.3 that
match the mozconfig rendered in the 6.3 HTML. It's not a likely
scenario, but it does exist.

There's also the matter of convenience. You never need to log onto
anduin unless you want to. Everything is handled from your local SVN
checkout. Just like how nobody needs to log onto quantum and kick off
a render after they make updates to SVN.

--
Dan