BLFS release

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:11:58 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote these words on 05/08/08 11:53 CST:
>> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 03:50:44PM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>> Actually, I just ran across another one...and it's fixed now...I think.
>>> auxfiles/firefox-2.0.0.14-mozconfig.  Anything special I need to do with
>>> that or the wget and md5 files?
>>>
>>  Sorry, didn't get around to replying to this earlier - did I miss
>> something ?
>
> Don't feel bad as the procedure has changed. FWIW, I don't know how
> to update these files any longer either. I looked at Anduin and I see
> one copy in the normal spot that looks like it was put there on May 4,
> and there's another copy in the 'svn' subdir of the Files dir that
> looks like it was put there on May 7.
>
> I wouldn't know which one (if either) is the valid file.
>
> It may be that Dan is the only one that knows how the new method
> works. Putting files on Anduin has never been documented in the Ed
> Guide, so it is no big deal, but it would be nice if something was
> added just so someone could find on on his own how the procedure
> works.

I explained in great detail why this change was made and why there are
two copies of everything (maintaining URLs):

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-dev/2008-April/018562.html

How it's updated is very simple. .../files/BLFS/svn on anduin is just
an SVN checkout of svn://svn.lfs.org/BLFS/trunk/auxfiles. Anyone in
the blfseditors group can go there and run `svn up'. I have an hourly
cron job to do that, but you can feel free to run it when you know a
change has occurred. This is exactly how Bruce was already handling
the Xorg files.

I'm sorry this has inconvenienced you so much, but it addresses a real problem.

--
Dan