X.Org scripted installation / Proprietary ATI driver

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 12 20:07:40 PDT 2008

Philipp Christian Loewner wrote:
> OK, I finally got that. So I just misinterpreted the
> book at that passages.

If it is not easy to understand then there is still a problem with the
text that surrounds the commands.  BLFS does not endorse scripting the
build commands, but it was argued for this one little example in the
book because of the repetition.  Imagine typing (or even copy and
pasting) the same commands 250+ times.  :-)  I think 'to script' was a
bad choice of words, where I should have used 'to partially automate'.

Currently the book has :
====
Additionally, because of the large number of repetitive commands, you
are encouraged to script the build. For most sections, you can use a
script with commands similar to the following, to compile and install
all packages in a wget file list:
====

Perhaps this text is easier to understand and explains the purpose a
little better:
====
Additionally, because of the large number of repetitive commands, you
are encouraged to partially automate the build.  The commands below (or
similar) can be entered at the command line to compile each group of
packages (proto, libs, apps, drivers).  The wiki links on each group's
page contain specific commands to compile the entire group of packages,
based on the content of the wget files.
====

I think we need to revisit this and consider putting the exact loop
commands back into the book (as was done originally, but best after the
6.3 release).

-- DJ Lucas