LFS Future Braindump

Christian Wurst christian.wurst at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 04:23:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Christian Wurst wrote these words on 05/28/08 06:55 CST:
>> Well, I disagree here. The FAQ is very technical in nature, and thus
>> takes some time to understand what the package does.
>
> I snipped your explanation and somewhat dismissed it when I read
> your first sentence. You must have not even visited the URL I
> offered above, otherwise there would be no way you would say that
> it is too technical.

I did, but after re-reading what I wrote I have to say that it was a
bad choice of words, I'm sorry for that. I didn't mean to criticise
the FAQ in any way. It would have been better if I wrote "too long and
technical in nature for the short description I'd like to see in
BLFS".

I liked what Guy Dalziel wrote, especially:
> What if we could do both, present a couple of sentences
> in brief about what the package does and then put a
> 'more..' link after it that leads to a page of a more
> detailed nature, perhaps the wiki would suit the
> purpose nicely.

These couple of sentences should be as understandable to the average
user as possible. I think we can assume the average user knows what a
filesystem or a database is, but we shouldn't assume that he knows
what a X.500 directory service is. This is why I wrote that I think
the FAQ is "too technical".

I hope this clarifies my opinion, sorry for causing a misunderstanding.

Christian