Freetype-2.3.7 update in 6.3?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 11 12:17:42 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 06:43:37AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> We fixed this in libXfont by replacing the ft_isdigit macro by the
> ctype equivalent. Now, the question is whether any other
> freetype-using library or application uses any of the ft_is* macros.
> I'm gonna lean towards no. It's been over a year since freetype
> removed those macros, and there's been no mention that I can see on
> their mailing list. Furthermore, if there are other packages where
> this becomes a problem, it will be very easy to identify and fix the
> problem now that the issue is understood.

 Thanks - after DJ pointed out I needed to recompile libXfont, I
found the problem and confirmed the book's fix solved it.

> So, I'd say, make the update. Fixing security vulnerabilities and bugs
> is probably more important than worrying about this silly API break
> that apparently no one else cares about.

 I've just looked at my more-recent builds - with a newer libXfont
(in 7.3) it just seems to work.  Maybe anyone else still using
xorg-7.2 is using a newer libXfont (which is nice if they have the
resources of a distro to check things), or perhaps they're using a
similar fix hidden away in their buildscripts or patches.

 Strangely, I do now care a little about bdftopcf - apparently people
use it to use my consolefont in X : I got a patch to fix the header
information (number of characters, I think) so it's something I'll
be using as a check whenever I get round to another release of that.

ĸen