Freetype-2.3.7 update in 6.3?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 11 11:58:19 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:57:40PM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  Thanks for the details.  I can't reproduce the failure to build
> > bdftopcf with what I think is a now slightly old 6.3 system
> > (libXfont-1.2.8, bdftopcf-1.0.1) with the upgraded freetype.
> >
> >  I'm unsure where to go from here, it looks as if I might have broken
> > trunk as well as 6.3, for some combination of packages ?
> >
> I'm not sure, I only know that it *was* a problem.  Again, I'm only
> guessing from Dan's original comments, to reproduce, you'd have to
> rebuild both libXfont and bdftopcf.  I should have the time to do a
> little testing Saturday night, after the rugrats crash, if you or
> anybody else can't get to it before then.

 Thanks for the pointer, I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.
Yes, if I merely (re)compile libXfont against the upgraded version
of freetype and then attempt to compile bdftopcf, that bails with
'undefined reference to ft_isdigit'.

 But, in both trunk and the branch, we not only have a patch for
libXfont, we also have
sed -i 's/(ft_isdigit/(isdigit/' src/FreeType/fttools.c

 Rebuilding libXfont with that sed allows bdftopcf to compile.

 So, it looks like there was a problem in the past, but the book
already works around it.

 I'm still not willing to put libxslt into the branch, I don't
really know what would test if it is working reliably.

ĸen