JDK build

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 21 14:44:18 PST 2008

Alonso Graterol wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I'm running Pure64 CLFS SVN-20070923 with kernel 2.6.22.15 and
> have been installing CBLFS packages for some time now.
>     I successfully built JDK-6u3 adapting instructions in CBLFS wiki
> (except for the patches) and also applying the seds shown in BLFS
> SVN-20080110. Additionally I did some adjustments as follows,
>
> In file jdk-build/j2se/make/common/Defs-linux.gmk, line 277, I needed
> to change $(OPENWIN_HOME)/lib64 to $(OPENWIN_HOME)/lib.
>
> In file jdk-build/j2se/make/sun/awt/mawt.gmk, line 213, I changed to
> CPPFLAGS += -I/usr/X11R6
>
> In file jdk-build/j2se/make/sun/jdbc/Makefile, lines 88 & 91, I added
> -fPIC to fix compiling errors making libodbcinst.so and libobdc.so
>
> In file jdk-build/hotspot/build/linux/makefiles/sa.make, line 24, I
> changed "$(shell /usr/bin/test ..." to "$(shell /bin/test ..." since
> CLFS instruction says to place test in /bin.

Thanks for the report.  I'll keep these around.  I don't think the LFS
target for 7.0 is multilib, only strait x86_64.  Will be a nice
reference for later.
>    I was expecting to find the plugin for Firefox after the build but
> did not find any. The instructions at CBLFS wiki for JDK make you
> think it could be compiled. I'm not sure if there is a prerequisite
> not meet or there is simply no way of producing the plugin and javaws
> for x86_64 AMD64 systems. If there IS a way to build them please let
> me know.
<snip>

> Did anyone get the plugin and javaws compiled for amd64 before?
>    Thanks,

AFAIK, no, at least not on Linux with stable sources, however, I was
recently in contact with Greg Lewis of the FreeBSD camp, concerning
Sun's decision not to open up the update releases.  After we got sun to
release the u3 source, he invited me to take a look at their patchset
(http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk16.html).  I have yet to
make the time to do so, well at least with any intention of taking the
bits I need.  Need to get BLFS-6.3 out first.

They have a working patch for native x86_64 browser plugin.  It doesn't
specifically mention javaws...but I assume so being that I had seen some
defines for 64 in deploy/src/javaws.  There really shouldn't be many BSD
specific changes (really shouldn't be any if you kill the bsd checks).
That said, I've not LFS'd my x86_64 box, and thus haven't tested that
theory...and probably won't until well after BLFS-6.3 is released.

At first glance, the changes look fairly trivial (yeah, now that they
are already done ;-) ).  I'm about to write the Sun release manager to
see what the status is on update 4 source....actually, I'll give him a
couple of days first.  If you get a chance to look at that port and
"linuxize" the patch, please be so kind as to send it back up to us or
CLFS (or both).  If not, I will get to it if OpenJDK doesn't release
before then.

Thanks.

-- DJ Lucas