GnuCash 2.2.2 has some Perl requirements

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 01:22:57 PST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 10:38 PM, Kevin Buckley <kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently found that although I was able to INSTALL GnuCash 2.2.2
> by adding a couple of packages to the "minimal Gnome" I detailed on
> here a while back, vis:
>
>   http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/GNOMEDevPlatform
>
> (The extra packages that allowed me to INSTALL (but not use) 2.2.2 were:
>
> Goffice
> libgsf
> PCRE
> )
>
> however, the application bombs out when one tries to do anything
> with the Scheduled Transaction editor .
>
> Running a "follow the children" strace suggests that you need the
> following Perl stuff as well:
>
> write(2, "\n", 1)                       = 1
> write(2, "You need to install the followin"..., 48) = 48
> write(2, "  Finance::Quote\n", 17)      = 17
> write(2, "  LWP\n", 6)                  = 6
> write(2, "  HTML::Parser\n", 15)        = 15
> write(2, "  HTML::TableExtract\n", 21)  = 21
> write(2, "  Crypt::SSLeay\n", 16)       = 16
> write(2, "  Date::Manip\n", 14)         = 14
> write(2, "\n", 1)                       = 1
> write(2, "Use your system\'s package manage"..., 51) = 51
> write(2, "or run \'gnc-fq-update\' as root.\n", 32) = 32
> write(1, "missing-lib\n", 12)                                  = 12
>
> and indeed the script mentioned there tries to do a Perl CPAN install
> of those modules.
>
> I can't recall (nor work out as yet)  if the package requirement chain that
> one would follow for GnuCash 2 would highight this so it might be worth
> flagging it up explicitly.
>
> FWIW, I had installed GnCash 2.0.1 using just the basic GnomeDEV environment
> above.
>
> Hope this is useful,
> Kevin

Couple of developments on this.

Firstly, just to point out that although the current instructions do mention
the extra Perl modules, the reference is made wrt the online-banking
functionality which I had turned off at the configure stage.

Secondly, compiling with --enable-debug did allow me to use the
2.2.2 application without requiring the Perl modules, although one still
sees  the mention of them in one of the threads the application starts.

I'm going to bounce my experiences off of the gnucash mailing list
but I would be interested to hear of experiences with compiling gnucash,
especially if folk have any of the Perl modules already installed at the point
where they built the application.