KDE4

Hans-Joachim Widmaier hjwidmaier at web.de
Mon Jan 14 00:03:20 PST 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've started to look at KDE4 and wondered if anyone else has started to
> build it.

Since I never managed to get qt3 and qt4 installed in parallel (with
both working), and some programs wanting qt4, I was waiting for KDE4 so
I could put qt3 to rest. (Although I don't use a KDE desktop.)
I've downloaded the sources yesterday and wanted to start the build today.

> According to http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4 it looks
> like there will be several new packages needed:
>
> qt4

This is not exactly a surprise, is it? ;-)

> libclucene
> librdf

These 2 I missed.

> boost

My standard BLFS build includes boost. But I'm not sure if it works
(after further reading in this thread).

> cmake

Piece of cake: CMMI, honors DESTDIR.

> arts is no longer a part of kde, but I'm not sure yet if it is needed at
> all.

Same goes here.

> It looks like HAL and dBus will be required.

These are kinda basic requirement for any desktop now.

> The base kde download is 220M and that doesn't include the i18n packages
> and several smaller packages that are in the extragear/ directory:

Ah, thanks for pointing this out. I just downloaded the tarballs from
the sources page.

> This is going to be a major effort and the learning curve is going to be
> steep.  I'd appreciate any advice that others may have.

Have you checked their build instructions? They recommend a special user
with a special .bashrc ... Gah!

I'll take a closer look when I'm back from town (some shopping required).

Hans-Joachim