KDE4

Christoph Berg Christoph.Berg at kpm-sport.de
Sun Jan 13 11:26:02 PST 2008

Am Sonntag, 13. Januar 2008 18:19:28 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> I've started to look at KDE4 and wondered if anyone else has started to
> build it.
I have started building KDE4 from SVN a month ago and the dependencies haven't
changed that much.

> According to http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4 it looks
> like there will be several new packages needed:
>
> qt4
> libclucene
> librdf
> boost
> cmake
>
> as well as some others that I'm not sure about.
>
> arts is no longer a part of kde, but I'm not sure yet if it is needed at
> all.
Well, arts was removed from KDE4. The job is now done using the Phonon
abstraction layer. At the moment, the only lib you can use for getting sound
is xine. According to the cmake check, you should use xine-lib-1.1.9, which
was released a few days ago.

> It looks like HAL and dBus will be required.
D-BUS is a requirement or better, the Qt4 bindings, which will be only build,
if Qt4's configure finds D-BUS.

> The base kde download is 220M and that doesn't include the i18n packages
> and several smaller packages that are in the extragear/ directory:
>
> extragear-plasma-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kaider-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kcoloredit-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kfax-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kgraphviewer-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kiconedit-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kmldonkey-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kphotoalbum-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> kpovmodeler-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> ktorrent-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> ligature-4.0.0.tar.bz2
> rsibreak-4.0.0.tar.bz2
>
> This is going to be a major effort and the learning curve is going to be
> steep.  I'd appreciate any advice that others may have.

Well, I would say, let's concentrate on the core packages. At the moment KDE
4.0 is pretty incomplete. Modules like kdepim weren't released...

Fine regards,
  Christoph Berg