KDE4

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 09:19:28 PST 2008

I've started to look at KDE4 and wondered if anyone else has started to
build it.

According to http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4 it looks
like there will be several new packages needed:

qt4
libclucene
librdf
boost
cmake

as well as some others that I'm not sure about.

arts is no longer a part of kde, but I'm not sure yet if it is needed at
all.

It looks like HAL and dBus will be required.

The base kde download is 220M and that doesn't include the i18n packages
and several smaller packages that are in the extragear/ directory:

extragear-plasma-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kaider-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kcoloredit-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kfax-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kgraphviewer-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kiconedit-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kmldonkey-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kphotoalbum-4.0.0.tar.bz2
kpovmodeler-4.0.0.tar.bz2
ktorrent-4.0.0.tar.bz2
ligature-4.0.0.tar.bz2
rsibreak-4.0.0.tar.bz2

This is going to be a major effort and the learning curve is going to be
steep.  I'd appreciate any advice that others may have.