tcsh

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:21:49 PST 2008

I've been looking at tcsh.  It builds but make check fails completely.  The
problem is that the tests are based on m4 it and fails with GNU M4 1.4.12, but
succeeds with GNU M4 1.4.4.  The version of tcsh that is in the book currently
also fails with the newer M4.

I've added to a bug report on the tcsh maintainer's web site.  The problem was
first noted in early October, but nothing has happened since.

There is also a minor issue with a warning when the command `sh ./tcsh.man2html`
is run, but I can work around that or ignore it.

The question is how to handle the make check failure.  Do I just say that it
won't run with (GNU M4) 1.4.12 and is a known problem?

One last thing.  I don't know why the current instructions call for the
installation in /usr/bin.  The default is /bin and is correct.  It is necessary
if /usr is remotely mounted and tcsh is a user's default shell.  All shells
should go in /bin.