Fonts and seamonkey

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 21:11:39 PST 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Got it!  Your comments led me to do some searching/experimenting.  In seamonky
> there are a couple of settings controlling the look:  Apearance->Fonts and
> Character Encoding.  I needed to set Character Encoding to UTF-8, but what was
> not obvious at all is that the font configuration for UTF-8 was in a setting for
> "Fonts for: Other Languages".  Generally, I use "Western".  Once I set the fonts
> for that *and* the Character Encoding, I was able to control things.

The problem is still that you had to adjust both settings. The character
encoding should be autodetected from HTTP headers, and Fontconfig should
substitute the font for you automatically if the default font doesn't
contain the needed character. So, could you please install Microsoft or
DejaVu fonts in addition to what you already have, start with a new user
account and check whether the problem exists by default?

In particular, after loading a Trac page (e.g.
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/2678), without changing
anything (i.e., even if the page doesn't display correctly) please go to
View -> Page Information and see the encoding there.

Or, does the problem manifest itself only with some non-LFS Trac? (then,
it is caused by the web server misconfiguration)

--
Alexander E. Patrakov