Fonts and seamonkey

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 20:19:06 PST 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 04:55:14PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> The problem I am having in seamonkey is that the ellipsis is coming out as �.
>> In hex, thats c3 a2 -- ef bf bd -- c5 a0.
>>
>> I tried changing my mail character encoding to utf-8, but the font is a really
>> ugly one.  I'm using ISO-8859-15 and it is OK except for the unicode problem.
>>
>> I suspect that Thunderbird would have the same problem.
>>
>> I don't have any problems with the web portion of seamonkey as utf-8 seems to be
>> just fine there.
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions.  For instance, is there a font I can load that will
>> give a nice utf-8 appearance?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>  I'm not familiar with the options in seamonkey (in fact, I'm not
> familiar with the options in current firefox2 any more), but I
> assume you have a default option something like 'serif' or 'mono' ?
> For those, I would try the corresponding DejaVu fonts.

Got it!  Your comments led me to do some searching/experimenting.  In seamonky
there are a couple of settings controlling the look:  Apearance->Fonts and
Character Encoding.  I needed to set Character Encoding to UTF-8, but what was
not obvious at all is that the font configuration for UTF-8 was in a setting for
"Fonts for: Other Languages".  Generally, I use "Western".  Once I set the fonts
for that *and* the Character Encoding, I was able to control things.

Thanks for the input.