Towards a BLFS 6.4 release

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:41:27 PST 2008

I would like to discuss the idea of a BLFS-6.4 release sometime relatively
"soon".  Right now we have 103 open tickets targeted for 6.4 and about 60 more
for other milestones.  All the tickets probably need a review for what is
appropriate for 6.4.

In any case, I've done seven tickets in the last few days and accepted 23 more.
  A lot of these can be updated fairly quickly, but the ticket for KDE 3.5.x
will take a bit of time.  I will try to get all my current tickets closed by the
end of January.

What I'd like to do though, is get some opinions about when the next release
should occur.  This will, of course, require a commitment from several people to
address and close the outstanding tickets as well as the new ones that we know
will come up between now and release.

I've always thought that BLFS was pretty ambitious.  We are pushing 400 packages
and even if each package was updated only once a year, that's still more than
one a day.  Many packages release multiple times per year and a few are quite
stable and don't update often at all.  However, without explicit counting, my
feel is that the total number of packages that need updated in a year is over 500.

I would like to propose a target date for BLFS-6.4 as March 31st, 2009.  Is this
a reasonable goal?  I'd like to get synergy between editors to make this date or
another target date that we think is realistic.

What do you think?