Mono in 6.4?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 24 17:21:51 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 12:24:00AM +0000, William Immendorf wrote:
> Then why not Mono? It is required for Begal Desktop Search, and that
> is pretty useful.

 Personally, I wouldn't touch mono with the proverbial barge-pole -
even this week, there seems to be an issue with mono in the kernel
(perhaps only on ppc64).  My view is that we've got
_more_than_enough_ languages without adding copies of M$ creations.
But you prompt me to ask (and, as always, I _am_ asking, not
suggesting that you should drop your suggestion) : what do you get
from this desktop search ?  If you read -support, you will have seen
that I've had unpleasant experiences with strigi (it's a
compile-time dependency for some of kde4, but IMHO totally
pointless) - what do you get with beagle (apart, perhaps, from a
nice image of snoopy as 'joe cool' ;) that you don't get from
'find' ?

ĸen