lesstif doesn't find Xrender by default

Andreas Turriff andi598d at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:12:19 PST 2008

Guy Dalziel wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>> Using the book's default instructions, I get the following output in the
>> run of ./configure for lesstif-0.95.0...
>>
>> Checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h usability... no
>> Checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h presence... no
>>
> The same problem does indeed occur on my system, however it is not
> "broken" as a result of it. Lesstif compiles and functions perfectly
> well without it, the only difference is the lack of Xrender.h causes
> lesstif to not compile against XFT. After compiling and testing with
> --x-includes and without it I can't actually notice any difference,
> although I don't know if I'm using what XFT provides within my document
> to provide a fair test. Perhaps someone could test this.

I had the same thing. Looking at the config.log output, it seems that
the configure test is braindead - GCC reports no input files, thus
returning an error. Unfortunately, my skills with the autotools don't
suffice to be able to provide a patch for this. I worked around it by
setting ac_cv_header_extensions_xrender_h=yes in the configure
invocation. (Doublecheck the variable name, I'm working from memory here.)

~Andreas