Freeglut requires GL/gl*.h

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:48:34 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Matthew Burgess
<matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm running through an Xorg-7.4 build, but have hit a problem.  Firstly, there's
> a slight inconsistency:
>
> The Xorg Apps page says that MesaGlut is recommended. But, visiting the MesaGlut
> page suggests that FreeGlut is recommended, due to licensing issues with
> MesaGlut.
>
> Now, FreeGlut states that it is dependent on the entire 'X Window System', but
> that won't be completed for some 7 packages (plus deps), which includes the apps,
> fonts, and drivers, all fairly substantially sized.
>
> Ignoring that advice completely (hey, it's my distro, I get to keep all the
> broken pieces!), I decided to compile it immediately after xbitmaps-1.0.1. This
> results in:
>
> error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
> error: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory
> error: GL/glx.h: No such file or directory
>
> Does anyone have any info on what, exactly, Freeglut requires?  My initial
> googling suggests that Xorg Drivers will provide GL/gl*.h, but does that then
> mean I need to rebuild the whole lot again, or just the Xorg Apps?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt.

MesaLib provides libgl.so (not sure if they also provide the .h files,
but that makes sense).

I think what the directions mean, is not to compile the optional
mesaglut tarball, just mesalib/demo's (if you want demo's).  Do the
applications need GLUT or just GL? [GLUT's supose to be a utility
toolkit to make GL programming easier].

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------