Xorg-server and evdev driver

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 14 15:48:23 PST 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> A log should shed some light.

It was worse and only affected gnome.  Running in twm it was fine.  This
error appears all over via google.  I'm going back through a complete
build from scratch again (it's scriptable now that I have known good
file lists).  Anyway, xsetxkbmap showed an otherwise unconfigured device
(I put the device and driver lines only in xorg.conf) as a 104?? key us
layout.  Setting the device up with the expected values (as set by
default when using kbd driver) did not fix the issue for me, however,
when dropping back to the kbd driver, everything was fine.

What is more is that the gnome keyboard app had nothing but the default
layout available to it and the browse button was disabled...indicating
that I missed something someplace, though hours of log browsing has
proved useless.  I'd be happy to post all of my build logs someplace if
you'd like to take a look, unfortunately my X session logs are gone, but
I think starting over was the sane choice now that I have at least a
rough idea of deps and no rebuilds in the stack...plus I fixed a few
issues in my package manager along the way and submitted a few ac
patches to the gnome devs specific to using xorg libs and headers that
were unaccounted for due to the /opt/X11 prefix.  I'll probably post all
of my logs on my server anyway after this build completes.

-- DJ Lucas