Xorg-server and evdev driver

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:12:31 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Nathan Coulson <conathan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Scratch that, the proposed fix does not work...still investigating.  I
>>> do not see all of the issues mentioned in those threads, but I do see a
>>> few of them... up arrow key does not work and invokes the gnome
>>> screenshot, Alt+F2 does bring up the run dialog box as expected, after I
>>> return from console 2, Ctrl+C sends Ctrl+Alt+Bksp (interesting), oh so
>>> fun...OTOH, it just works with the kbd driver as opposed to evdev.
>>> There are reports that KDE has some of the same problems.  More tomorrow.
>>
>> Wrong keyboard buttons usually point to xkeyboard-config missing. When
>> you use evdev for the keyboard, how are you configuring it? What
>> version of evdev are you using? Is the server HAL enabled? Can you
>> post the log?
>

> I have had simular problems with my experiments in the Xorg-server-1.6
> branch, (I just assumed it was me). Running xsetkbd w/ no parameters(I
> may have this command wrong, not at my trusty linux system) fixed it
> for the session in question though. *shrug*

I think you mean setxkbmap. I'm guessing that the server doesn't know
that right path to tell to xkbcomp (should be
$XORG_PREFIX/share/X11/xkb if that's where you installed
xkeyboard-config) to look for the rules when compiling the keymap.
This path is compiled in at build time via the --with-xkb-path
parameter. A log should shed some light.

--
Dan