Xorg-server and evdev driver

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 8 20:51:35 PST 2008

Guys..got a little issue with xorg and the evdev driver in Gnome.  I
have a Logitech keyboard (standard 105 US layout + multimedia keys with
function lock).  This issue has been reported several times as evidence
shown by Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22up+arrow+key%22+Gnome+Screenshot&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Here is a real good description of the problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/c66e6796ba566fb/e87f86440b3f8905?lnk=gst&q=442316#e87f86440b3f8905

Note that I haven't tested yet, but my tentative suggestion is that we
move forward with evdev-2.1.0 and the 4 patches listed for xorg server
in the release announcement for evdev (after testing).

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-announce/2008-November/000693.html

As a side effect, this will remove the Allow Empty Input workaround
added to the xorg config page, however, it is not Xorg-7.4 proper.  The
alternative is to roll back to an old evdev driver, but this does not
fix the event grabbing issue in xorg-server-1.5.3 for which the previous
workaround was added.

Comments? Suggestions? Objections?

-- DJ Lucas