Optional prefixes (targeting 7.0)

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:34:01 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Guys and gals,
>
> Is there any real desire to support the optional installation prefixes
> of X, QT, Gnome, and KDE in the book after package management enters?
> Maybe I'm just being lazy, but at this point, I kinda view it as an
> unnecessary maintenance burden.  Not to mention that the idea of
> building Gnome and various groups of dependents 2 more times is a bit
> unattractive, (it's scripted after the first run so it's not like it's a
> huge pile of work, just takes background time).  That's probably even
> extreme as I chose to do the most difficult pattern first. The minor
> changes needed for this variant aren't likely to affect the other 3
> possible combinations, but I'll do at least the easy one once anyway for
> validation.
>
> I imagine the same difficulty occurs with maintaining QT, KDE, and later
> KDE-4.  I'm not sure about supporting both KDE-3 and KDE-4.  AFAIK, our
> counterparts all install in /usr.  With package management coming, it
> shouldn't be any more difficult I suppose, but even more unnecessary IMO
> now that I actually use what I consider to be a good package management
> scheme.  The only downside I see to dropping optional prefixes, is our
> value to upstream in not revealing bugs in configure scripts that might
> affect someone else.  AFAIK, we've always been good at finding the out
> of the ordinary bugs and upstreaming patches or docs.
>
> Anyway, a comment tonight on a ticket prompted me to bring it up.
> Probably targeted toward the 7.0 line once the package management
> instructions are being worked in.
>
> -- DJ Lucas

I prefer /usr myself these days for Xorg, and I would for Gnome/KDE if
I installed them (if I did install them, I would not install multiple
versions at once).

Few things come to mind though, (sorry, just the nitpicking side that
likes to make sure everything's resolved)

How does gnome handle the case where you overwrite a old version with
a new version when it comes to configuration files?

What happens to the KDE config when KDE4 is installed on top of KDE3?

QT3/4 will probably have to exist on the same system (I think there
was a thread saying they do though).

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------