Optional prefixes (targeting 7.0)

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 2 21:45:53 PST 2008

Guys and gals,

Is there any real desire to support the optional installation prefixes
of X, QT, Gnome, and KDE in the book after package management enters?
Maybe I'm just being lazy, but at this point, I kinda view it as an
unnecessary maintenance burden.  Not to mention that the idea of
building Gnome and various groups of dependents 2 more times is a bit
unattractive, (it's scripted after the first run so it's not like it's a
huge pile of work, just takes background time).  That's probably even
extreme as I chose to do the most difficult pattern first. The minor
changes needed for this variant aren't likely to affect the other 3
possible combinations, but I'll do at least the easy one once anyway for
validation.

I imagine the same difficulty occurs with maintaining QT, KDE, and later
KDE-4.  I'm not sure about supporting both KDE-3 and KDE-4.  AFAIK, our
counterparts all install in /usr.  With package management coming, it
shouldn't be any more difficult I suppose, but even more unnecessary IMO
now that I actually use what I consider to be a good package management
scheme.  The only downside I see to dropping optional prefixes, is our
value to upstream in not revealing bugs in configure scripts that might
affect someone else.  AFAIK, we've always been good at finding the out
of the ordinary bugs and upstreaming patches or docs.

Anyway, a comment tonight on a ticket prompted me to bring it up.
Probably targeted toward the 7.0 line once the package management
instructions are being worked in.

-- DJ Lucas