libidn update

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 02:30:30 PST 2008

2008/12/2 DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org>:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> Testcase (I think it should even be put into the book):
>>
>> LANG=en_US xterm
>> in that xterm: curl http://räksmörgås.josefsson.org/
>>
> Thanks for the testcase Alexander.  All of them have been invaluable to
> my limited uni-lingual mind (is that even a word?). Might be nice if an
> expectation was set.  :-)  I don't have curl installed yet so I haven't
> tried it.
>
> I assume the expected outcome is something to the effect of 'Resolving
> r\303\244ksm\303\266rg\303\245s.josefsson.org... failed: Name or service
> not known.', as it does with an old wget if not working...otherwise
> we'll be greeted with a raw copy of the index.

The expected outcome is a portion of HTML. Obviously, this works only
if you really have the en_US locale, i.e., the "locale" command in the
xterm doesn't print any errors. And your locale setup is indeed
incorrect, as "\303\244" appear, as if the paste resulted in UTF-8
bytes instead of ISO-8859-1, and as if bash treats these characters as
unprintable (this happens only in the "C" locale).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov