[BLFS Trac] #2518: Xorg-7.2 libXfont

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 29 23:11:53 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hopefully, everything will be simply commented out. I'd like to
> leave any unused, but still in the book, text to remain there until
> we cut this release. That way the source is a bit more preserved,
> even though it may never be needed.
> So there's no confusion, what I'm saying is that if there is text that
> is going to be removed, let's try to comment it out instead of deleting
> it.
Ugh..I already deleted all of the text, but I am not removing any 
files.  I don't see the harm in that.  If we really need them, we can do 
a dated pull, but I'll wait for your approval before I do the second 
commit.  If you really want it commented out, I'll go back and redo it 
on Friday.
> It seems as though every time I want to make an announcement that
> we're going to cut a BLFS-6.3rc release, there's some new thing that
> prevents it. This again, is one of them. And I started the ticket.
> Sigh....
> Playing with Xorg files this late in the game is going to get us
> what?
> I simply brought up this ticket to find out what the root reason
> was why freetype was goofing up in an unrelated situation, only
> wanting to make sure that it didn't apply to the book as it stands
> right now. . It was not meant to create a concern to update many
> Xorg packages.

> I'm content to leave things be if it works in a {,B}LFS-6.3
> situation. Once we get 6.3 released, then we can do anything
> as we're trying to match LFS SVN.
Exactly.  The book is OK as it is now, which is why I pushed off 
Alexander's additional suggestions until after 6.3.  I don't believe 
that the libXfont change should go now, but since I took that 
conversation to mean that it was already decided, a full test would have 
been required anyway...might as well knock out a couple of other tickets 
while I was at it. 

I'm good to leave it as is.  I'll go back and put in 
libXfont-1.2.8...actually, no, I'm not going to mess with it cause I 
*might* have to rebuild a couple of the apps...besides, Dan has already 
shown where the changes were in freetype-2.3.5 that broke the old 
libXfont.  It's fine as is. 

I'm going to get these last two changes in quick (the FHS concerns and 
the text removal for XFree86--well, waiting on that one now).  I'm still 
going to continue with testing Alexander's suggestions in this build 
since it shouldn't have any effect on the /etc/X11 dir.

-- DJ Lucas

This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content, and is believed to be clean.

More information about the blfs-dev mailing list