LFS - DESTDIR Style (minor update)

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 21:06:52 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Cc: to BLFS-Dev
>
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 03/31/08 10:44 CST:
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> The implication of going to DESTDIR for LFS would imply doing the same
>>> for BLFS.  Some of the BLFS packages are not DESTDIR friendly.  I can't
>>> remember which ones off the top of my head, but I do recall some that
>>> ignore DESTDIR, at least partially.
>> All perl modules. See
>> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-December/060640.html
>
> This message is after-the-fact and not really relevant to the previous
> discussion. It is however, interesting.
>
> I just installed a Perl Module and not only was it native DESTDIR
> friendly and multilib friendly, it installed files depending on the
> native arch of the machine.

I cannot confirm this. Both with perl-5.8.8 and 5.10.0, the package installs
files into the DESTDIR, but it installs wrong files. See the URL above, I can
add nothing to what is already said there. If you insist on your point, please
provide full command lines starting with "perl Makefile.PL", and look into the
.packlist and perllocal.pod inside the DESTDIR.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov