LFS - DESTDIR Style (minor update)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 27 18:19:06 PDT 2008

Cc: LFS-Dev

Randy McMurchy wrote these words (many snipped) on 04/27/08 18:33 CST:

> I just installed a Perl Module and not only was it native DESTDIR
> friendly and multilib friendly, it installed files depending on the
> native arch of the machine.
>
> Simply using the USE_ARCH var passed to the configuration
> (perl Makefile.PL), makes multilib just right (maybe, depending
> on what you are expecting).
>
> Destdir works as it is supposed to, passed on the 'make install'
> line.
>
> But what was interesting is that the man pages were only installed
> in the 64bit installation. They were not put in DESTDIR during the
> 32bit build, only 64bit.
>
> Now, this could be a hassle for cross-builders, but for someone
> like me that does multilib building with 64bit being the native
> arch, this works *really good*.
>
> I don't have to deal with files being overwritten that are
> consistent between arches. This is a package manager issue.

Reviewing this message shows that it is totally off-topic for both
groups it was sent to. Things such as "multilib, DESTDIR, Native arch,
64bit, package manager", aren't really (B)LFS material.

Perhaps all that stuff may be topics we discuss, but right now it
is all future-talk.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
20:10:01 up 70 days, 10:58, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.01