Update in LSB investigation

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:05:24 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got the initial setup to run the LSB tests.  To do that, I installed RPM, and
>
>  rpm --initdb
>  rpm --install --nodeps lsbsi-lsb-3.2.0-1.i486.rpm
>
>   From there, a server is run and the interface is via a browser.
>
>  In the core tests, we did OK:
>
>  Total tests             148
>  Total tests expected    148
>  Passed tests            132
>  Quelled problems          7
>  Failures                  9
>
>  The failures here were just missing programs on my system:
>
>  at, batch - GNU, not in BLFS

They are both part of the at package, and I think everyone uses
debian's (with a lot of patches):

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/at

It's actually a nice analog to cron. Instead of specifying a recurring
job, you can just kick off a one-time job which operates in the
background with logging to syslog.

echo "do something cool" | at now + 5 minutes

>  install_initd, remove_initd - I'm not familiar with these.

These are for the LSB-style init scripts that DJ has some
compatibility for in lfs-bootscripts/contrib. I many distros use
SuSE's insserv, but I think DJ knows more:

http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/initsrcinstrm.html
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/suselinux/insserv.html

I've been writing some tools to do this as sort of "My First C
project" since DJ told me that most implementations are in Python.

http://gitweb.dwcab.com/?p=initd-tools.git;a=summary

>  pax      - Old GNU or Debian source, not in BLFS.

This is a SuSE tool that handles tar or cpio archives:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kukuk/pax/

>  The quelled problems were due to an LSB trial use module: XDG
>
>  xdg-desktop-icon
>  xdg-desktop-menu
>  xdg-email
>  xdg-icon-resource
>  xdg-mime
>  xdg-open
>  xdg-screensaver
>
>  There are some xdg directories in KDE and OpenOffice.  The programs seem to be
>  in xdg-utils at http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/

xdg-utils is a very nice set of scripts that handles desktop
integration across GNOME, KDE and XFCE. So, for instance, you can do
"xdg-open http://www.google.com/", and it will open the preferred
browser in your current desktop.

http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/

--