Fixes for the compressdoc script

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 23:46:13 PDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:50:12 -0500
Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> The reason I say what I do (opinion, that is), is because I bought a
> couple of new SATA drives (7200 rpm, 500 gigabytes) recently for less
> than $80.00 each.
>
> Prices are incredible (here in the USA, anyway). I bought some RAM
> the other day (800mhz) for $11.00 a gigabyte, max 2 gigabyte sold
> per visit in the store. 2 gigabytes of RAM for an Athlon dual-core
> 5200+ board for $22.00.
>
> Incredible.

The problem is that they are just US prices.  The situation is not the
same elsewhere, and most non-Americans don't have the US 'buy a new one'
ethos drilled into them. We still live with 'make do and mend'.  Take
it from me that anything you see as $80 will be $120 (£80) here.

Still I've never used a compressdoc script - my CPU's were always too
slow.  I still have 512M memory and a 20GiB main disk.  The machine
(Athlon XP) is only three years old, and I ain't changing it for a
while.

Main reason is that I'm currently spending most of my time mending the
100 year old church clock and chimes.  A new one would cost the parish
about £5000, and our income/expenditure last year was £800.

R.