Fixes for the compressdoc script

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:37:17 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>  > Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 04/21/08 18:37 CST:
>  >> Today I finally spent some time addressing a few patches people have
>  >> sent in about compressdoc and some other bugs I noticed along the way.
>  >
>  > I appreciate your efforts, though I sort of look at repairing the
>  > compressdoc script akin to fixing an old 386 computer.
>  >
>  > Just my opinion, but it's time to move on and not worry about saving
>  > a few megabytes of disk space. Embedded systems wouldn't have man pages,
>  > so I simply see no need to compress man pages.
>
>  I agree.  My system has 68M of man pages uncompressed.  Even If I saved 100%, it
>   wouldn't be noticeable.
>
>  In the military, we had a saying:  measure with a micrometer, mark it with a
>  grease pencil, and cut it with an ax.  Somehow that seems appropriate here.
>
>  On the other hand, it might be relevant if someone was trying to squeeze as much
>  as possible on a CDROM (not DVD).

It's not me you need to convince, but the other LFS users. Our man
utility supports compressed pages, and people seem to want this
functionality. I'm just trying to keep the script maintained while
fixing obvious bugs in it. I didn't spend one second of time figuring
out what size savings were using compression.

--
Dan