transcode fails

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:21:36 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> [cc'd to BLFS-Dev]
>
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 04/16/08 23:10 CST:
>
>> Could you please explain why you use transcode instead of calling ffmpeg
>> directly? Shouldn't transcode be removed from the book, because it stayed broken
>> for so long and nobody noticed it before you?
>
> Though I'm sure you don't intend to be insulting, somehow you
> manage it. :-)

Sorry for that. I really don't intend to be insulting, I sincerely (but wrongly)
assumed that the package has no users among editors. Since this is not the case,
and since the package is actually useful for k3b users to rip DVDs, I retract
the proposal to remove it from the book.

> I use Transcode. I built it in the early stages of my last LFS-6.3
> build. I had Linux-2.6.21.5 installed. I realize that the 6.3 book
> shows to use the 2.6.22 series kernels. If that meant the book is
> broken, then I'm at fault. Sorry.
>
> When did the breakage come about? I notice that Nicolas didn't
> mention what versions of stuff he was using, nor did Ken in his
> comments. It would be interesting to see what would happen in
> a stock LFS-6.3 build.

I don't know, as I don't use this package (I strongly prefer ffmpeg, but that's
just a personal preference).

> Do you know for a fact that it is broken with the 2.6.22 series
> kernel?
>
> If so, why not update the book, instead of calling for some
> package's removal?

In order to update the book, one has to become a user of the package, and I am
too lazy to do that (especially since it optionally depends on GTK1).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov