transcode fails

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 17 09:02:39 PDT 2008

[cc'd to BLFS-Dev]

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 04/16/08 23:10 CST:

> Could you please explain why you use transcode instead of calling ffmpeg
> directly? Shouldn't transcode be removed from the book, because it stayed broken
> for so long and nobody noticed it before you?

Though I'm sure you don't intend to be insulting, somehow you
manage it. :-)

I use Transcode. I built it in the early stages of my last LFS-6.3
build. I had Linux-2.6.21.5 installed. I realize that the 6.3 book
shows to use the 2.6.22 series kernels. If that meant the book is
broken, then I'm at fault. Sorry.

When did the breakage come about? I notice that Nicolas didn't
mention what versions of stuff he was using, nor did Ken in his
comments. It would be interesting to see what would happen in
a stock LFS-6.3 build.

Do you know for a fact that it is broken with the 2.6.22 series
kernel?

If so, why not update the book, instead of calling for some
package's removal?

If not, then please do a a bit of research. :-)

I must apologize of my lack of BLFS activity. I've been busy
with other things, including building (C)LFS multilib and other
experiments. I just don't find building (B)LFS-6.3 on x86 very
entertaining.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:48:00 up 60 days, 1:36, 1 user, load average: 0.32, 0.07, 0.02