$Date$ and $LastChangedBy$ - should we keep them?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 01:24:06 PDT 2008

2008/4/15, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>:
> If you are referring to the LFS main server, quantum, it is actually in
> Canada.

Sorry for this inaccuracy.

> I guess I don't understand the problem.  What character set is being used
> for
> the Russian dates?

The one from the current locale. Possible choices in Linux are KOI8-R
and UTF-8, and both (and also all other character sets except
ISO-8859-1 and ASCII, because there cannot be two character sets in
one document) conflict with the following declaration:

>  Is that what is getting checked in?  I haven't seen it.

It doesn't get checked in, so it is invisible from the server side. It
is only a client convenience issue. To reproduce it, run this command
to create a fresh checkout as I see it (I assume that LC_ALL and
LC_TIME environment variables are unset, i.e., only LANG takes
effect):

LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/trunk/BOOK
broken-book

and then look, e.g., into broken-book/introduction/welcome/maillists.xml:

  <sect1info>
    <othername>$LastChangedBy: randy $</othername>
    <date>$Date: 2007-04-05 01:42:53 +0600 (Чтв, 05 Апр 2007) $</date>
  </sect1info>

Here I complain about "Чтв, 05 Апр 2007" (should be: "Thu, 05 Apr
2007"). When rendering the book, this causes warnings about the
invalid characters and wrong contents of the rendered HTML document.

> Do they conflict with the html specific characters?  <, >, ", ', &

No, but in the result is unreadable in the final document.

> The date entries for the book are done in the style sheets.  We explicitly
> use a
> substring of the date as it has a defined length and position for each
> character.

Only if the input is the English or maybe some other ISO-8859-1 based
representation of the date.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov