r7358 - trunk/BOOK

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 13 15:34:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:11:24AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> The drawback is that make will not notice if you've updated something
> besides index.xml or general.ent in the source. To force your target
> to be rebuilt, run `make clean' first. Alternatively, touch index.xml
> or general.ent to update their timestamps. I think this is a fair
> trade off for the amount of time spent watching "Validating the
> book..." when you already have a properly validated blfs-full.xml.

Dan,

 Now that I've been bitten by this, I think it's a real PITA.

 Just pulled down what was the current book, and ran make before I
had a go at updating.  Unsurprisingly, there were no issues (on
another book I've been bitten in the past).  I then updated the
changelog and cups (newer security_fixes patch).

ken at deepthought ~/repos/BLFS $vim introduction/welcome/changelog.xml
pst/printing/cups.xml
2 files to edit
ken at deepthought ~/repos/BLFS $make
make: Nothing to be done for `blfs'.

 And yes, I remembered this discussion, and running 'make clean'
allowed me to then make the book, but it's just another aggravation.
Creating the book does take too long, but this change made it even
longer.  Whether I would remember 'make clean' if I had the same
situation in a month's time is unlikely.

ĸen